Sunday, June 09, 2013

Stirling HDB Terrace - DIY Morkt lantern ikea hack terrarium

Hi there,

Today i want to share with everyone here is a simple IKEA morkt lantern hack which is transformed into an open top terrarium!
 Here are the things you will need
  1. IKEA morkt lantern
  2. Soil. For terrariums, you can either do a cacti with succulents or a tropical one with ferns but not both as they will require different soil compost.
  3. Bookshelf support or a wall hanger. I'm using the IKEA ekby hanger
  4. Small plants. I'm using cactus here.
Pardon my photos here as I was so excited about this project that i did it late at night and so I had to use flash photography.
Step 1: find an open area. Lay your newspaper as you will get the floor dirty. Roll the plant pots on their sides so that it will loosen the soil and allow you to remove the plant easily and gently. You don't want to damage the roots.
Step 2: Arrange all your plants neatly or the way you want it.
 Step 3: Top up the sides with the additional soil as the lantern is quite big.
 here's how it looks like after i have finished that night!

 here are some day shots...



2 comments:

  1. This is super cute. I would have never thought to use Morkt this way. I definitely want to try it. Great job thinking outside of the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I saw it online actually and decided to give it a go since my old cactus is doing ok at home and 'survived' so many years of neglect!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...